First you're assuming the software company IS making money on that little guy, they may not be! They may be hoping the little guy steps it up over time to a size where they are making money with them.

But lets say that little customer does make them a little money. Clearly it won't be a lot of money since the guy is paying the minimum charges for 1 partner 1 translation and 1 transaction. The vendor will have to sell this small setup to thousands of customers just to stay in business.

But there will be customers who need 10 partners and 10 translations and 100 transactions per day. That customer paid more to set up 10 times the partners and translations and their monthly bill is larger. They are gaining much more value from the software as well.

And of course there are really big guys with many more partners, translations, and a constant flow of transactions. Maybe this customer is offered an 'Unlimited' transaction price to cap their already much larger bill at a known amount.

Consider these three types of customers. Which will need more support? Which will call in with more problems? Which is going to be more urgent when they call? Chances are those bigger guys. So that adds to the cost of supporting them and thus more profits need be generated to support that risk.

Yes the cost to send each customer media (even if it's via the net) and to produce the software and to have phone lines for them to call in to and is about the same so it's all too easy to say: "Let everyone pay the same, it's SOFTWARE after all, no cost really to make the second copy!" But this ignores business 101. Sell at the price the market will bear, see: "Airline pricing."

This is just "Larry's pricing model for EDI" mind you but it totally charges based on how MUCH you use the software, not on the size of your company. You could be GM running on a massive machine with 100 LPARs but trading with one little partner so you pay very little. Or you could be a very small company that specializes in EDI sorts of things and running on a small P10 machine with a single LPAR but beating the thing to death with EDI. You then pay more because to you it's valuable and driving your business.

Here's the thing, I want my software company to be making enough money to stay in business, properly support the product, enhance it, make it better. I want them selling to a lot of customers and picking up those new customers too so that ideas those customers have will feed back into the product thus helping me. I don't want them 'just hanging on' because the pricing model isn't working for them.

Don't make me tell the story of my dairy farmer cousin and his milk hauler again! :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com