On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think you are being overly harsh John.

I didn't mean to be harsh. I was acknowledging that the situation with
Zend PHP on i is probably about as good as it gets. On the i.

And "good" there is meant to be defined in a manner that is consistent
with the norms of its environment. Long-time midrangers don't
necessarily value the same things as folks from the mainstream
platforms. There are lots of "yay, we're going to spend a night in the
woods!" versus "eww, we're going to spend a night in the woods!" type
of viewpoint differences.

And that's also not to say that the different communities can't strive
to understand each other, learn from each other, and even in some
cases gradually converge their values. (Nor is any community of
reasonable size completely homogeneous to begin with.)

For right now, my sensibilities are far out of line with typical
midrange sensibilities. I'm not claiming any moral high ground on that
front. Indeed, it is a big conundrum in the fledgling "IBM i OSS"
community. We/they are asking very similar questions you did in your
blog post about knowing your audience.

It seems to me that you are blaming IBM and Zend for the fact that your management have not given you sufficient authority to install the stuff you want to play with.

Blame is definitely not the right word. There are things that IBM
and/or Zend could do differently, and things my management could do
differently, and things I could do differently. I don't think any of
those parties are acting "wrongly".

John Y.