I agree with most of what you said John - but this:

"But it's also not free. I keep forgetting that part, because the PHP language itself is, ostensibly, open source and free."

As far as I'm concerned, it is "free" if neither I or my company have to pay for it. Since any monies due to Zend are paid by IBM I don't see why you would say that it is not free. Many of my clients use it - only a few pay for the full Zend Server offering. Surely it is every bit as "free" as the other OS components supplied by IBM?

P.S. iSeries Python is great - but as a newbie to the language I want to stick to the latest version - so unless and until that version is upgraded to Python 3 then I'm afraid that it is not of much use to me. And yes - I know that a lot of packages use P2 but if that situation arises the IBM offering should be good enough for me.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com