On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, it is "free" if neither I or my company have to pay for it. Since any monies due to Zend are paid by IBM I don't see why you would say that it is not free. Many of my clients use it - only a few pay for the full Zend Server offering. Surely it is every bit as "free" as the other OS components supplied by IBM?

I think it's mainly down to me not being able to decipher from the
Zend site what you actually need. Every so often I think "hmm... I
haven't checked Zend out in a while, lemme go look", and this thread
was the latest thing to nudge me in that direction. So I Googled and
all I found was different levels of trialware. Now you're telling me
it's free, so I went over again, and looked more carefully... and I
notice there is this verbiage (which ought be a sentence, but what's a
terminating period between friends?):

"The Zend Server for IBM i Basic is available for free to all IBM i
users who want to get started with PHP on IBM i"

And immediately below that is a more graphical feature summary of the
Basic level which prominently has a "Try for FREE" button. So... is it
try for free and then keep for free? Why not just have a button that
doesn't imply trialware? Often "getting started" is a euphemism for
"while you're learning, but the terms change if you want to use it in
production".

So, if it really is free, then I apologize for misrepresenting it.

P.S. iSeries Python is great - but as a newbie to the language I want to stick to the latest version

There is nothing wrong with that. But one thing I really appreciated
about the "getting started with iSeriesPython" experience that I'm not
getting with ANY other open-source offering on the i is: It's small,
simple, and quick to install. Anyone can do it, even me. The entire
thing is installable in literally just a few minutes. By me!

And that is the same experience I had when I got started with Python
on Windows. Small, simple, quick. From zero to kicking the tires in
literally minutes. You can have the same experience with Python on
your Mac. And I expect that you'll be able to install most Python
packages on your Mac by using just pip, no muss, no fuss. (Or, if you
prefer the giant-but-luxurious experience, you can get nicely polished
bundles like Anaconda by Continuum Analytics.)

I cannot even install IBM's Python on the i here at work (because I'm
not an admin, not because we are on a too-old operating system). So of
course I cannot install any of the other open source stuff from IBM
either. I tried to install PHP once before, but the process was slow
and ultimately unsuccessful. I have no doubt that it is very nice once
it is all set up properly. I just haven't been able to get to that
point.

John Y.