Nathan Andelin wrote:
From: Bryce Martin
We have an smaller box, E4A that has a full ERP system running with
almost 300 concurrent users. I would love to see his Linux setup match
up against that.

What would an ERP system look like under Linux? Telnet with a command line? Is
there an equivalent to IBM i Access and a 5250 interface under Linux? What
about an equivalent to Navigator, Systems Director, Web Server Administration,
and similar client interfaces? Do users have access to their own message
queues, output queues, job logs, printer writers? What about CL command
prompting, help, and menu systems?

An individual may have a user profile under Linux, but what about a comparable
user experience, and license to comparable desktop and server-based interfaces?

When it comes to ERP applications under Linux, my gut feel is that we're
probably talking about JEE or PHP interfaces. If that's the case, then it's
likely that the Linux system will only support about 1/10 of the number of
concurrent 5250 users, just because the Web interfaces are that much more
resource intensive, perhaps even much more. And if you're comparing JEE & PHP
under Linux to JEE & PHP under IBM i, why would you add user based licensing to
the IBM i interfaces?

-Nathan