I would like to call BS on this article. And here is why....
While his user per user, dollar per dollar comparison might be accurrate,
the number of users that each setup can handle is not. I would be a
year's worth of paycheck that the 720 running ibm i can handle multitudes
more users than his comparable Linux setup. So while at 150 users the 720
looks close but more expensive per user, the fact remains that as you
climb the number of users to over 300 or 500 that box will probably still
be ticking along and he'll have to have a cluster of linux boxes to
support those users.

We have an smaller box, E4A that has a full ERP system running with almost
300 concurrent users. I would love to see his linux setup match up agains
that. His arguement looks good on paper, but you have to make the proper
comparisons. Once again, I call BS.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
11/09/2010 05:13 PM
Please respond to

midrange list <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Is TPM's Linux vs. IBM i pricing comparison valid?

It seems that every time that IBM releases a new server line, Timothy
Prickett
Morgan and itjungle.com releases a series of articles comparing IBM i
price/performance against Unix, Windows, and Linux alternatives. IBM i
platforms normally take a beating in terms of price/performance. TPM is
continuously hammering IBM on it. One notable exception is the new model
720,
which beat Unix and Windows alternatives in recent comparisons. But when
it
comes to Linux, TPM makes a point about IBM i user based licensing driving
up
the cost of a model 720 against Linux, Intel, and open-source databases,
which
don't have user based pricing.

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh110810-story01.html

I think I understand what a user is under IBM i. It's an individual who
exchanges credentials with IBM i; one who has a user profile, or
authenticates
against a validation list or LDAP entry. And one who is entitled to use
software
like IBM i Access, Navigator, Systems Director, Web Admin, TCP/IP servers,
etc.
But what is a user under Linux and say Postgre SQL? Is TPM's comparison

valid?

-Nathan