Rob,

This customer has a policy to run WAS on UNIX. It was decided that WAS would
require additional resources on the i, so they installed it on Unix. They
cannot deliver an EGL developed application without WAS, and having that
extra tier has caused significant performance problems. Their initial tests
on their pretty UI were running at 60 to 90 seconds response times. With
much effort, they were able to tune the WAS and network configuration, and
reduce their response times to 3 to 5 seconds.

On review, they would have not done any better using WAS on any other
platform, including i. And even if WAS had been running on the i, the
skillset required to deliver the application to required performance
specifications is not trivial.

For a real life business application that is not just a pretty web page,
performance is key. You cannot go from sub-second green screen response
times and deploy even a 5 second application. My job is to performance tune
the i server so that we can deliver this EGL developed application in under
a second. The actual challenges of doing this are much harder than the EGL
hype you hear.

Trevor