From: Pete Massiello

A few years ago a P05 was a small 170 or 270, now that could be a
small 800, a small 520, or a 515. The 515 P05 will blow the doors off of
any AS/400 ever built. I have used it on a 520 Partitioned box, and it
worked great.

I'll be comparing these side by side this year, Pete. I have a model 270
which is destined to become my back-porting machine and I'm ordering a new
low-end model 515. I'll compare the two, and it's not a bad comparison all
around since from a pure price standpoint they're not that different. I
think the 515 is a little less than half the original price of the 270.

I will say this: after upgrading to V5R4, I find that anything web-based
from IBM does not run well on the 270. Whereas with V5R1 and WAS 5.1
Express I had a reasonably productive environment, with V5R4 and WAS 6.1 it
takes me back to the days of working on my model 150. It takes literally an
hour simply to stop and restart the web application server.

I am memory constrained on this box, although I find it amusing and annoying
that 1GB on an System i is now considered memory constrained, especially
when memory costs so much for these boxes. So maybe memory is an issue, but
still, to have to sit for an hour just to change a JAR file; let's only hope
that the model 515 is a lot peppier.

Joe