Hi Peter,

There is no code in the 5250 protocol that means "signon" either, yet there is an auto-signon feature in iSeries Access.

Actually there is. There are Telnet VARs and USERVARs that you can send as part of the session setup to auto-sign on. For details, see RFC 2877
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2877.html

In the TN5250 software you linked to (which James Rich, myself, and several other people helped to develop) you can set up auto-signon using keywords in the tn5250rc file

ssn {
host = as400.example.com
env.DEVNAME=DSP01
env.USER=klemscot
env.IBMSUBSPW=bigboy
env.IBMPROGRAM=QCMD
env.IBMIMENU=MAIN
env.IBMCURLIB=QGPL
}

Now when you invoke "tn5250 ssn" it'll connect to that host, set up a device named DSP01, and sign on as userid=klemscot, password=bigboy, pgm=QCMD, menu=MAIN, CURLIB=QGPL... replacing the need to enter anything in the signon screen fields.

In fact, I often use this capability when I run into a software company that needs access to my system. Rather than make them sign on, etc, I e-mail them a little installation prgoram that installs TN5250 with all the needed settings, they just double-click the icon and boom, they're signed on.

Naturally, they're confused about how they signed on without typing anything... which still amuses me, after all these years.

I believe there is a system request code that can be sent even when the
> session is input-inhibited, and option 90 from there could be used to
> signoff.

Yes. Unless they're already at SysReq screen (in which case, you can't hit system request again). Or the administrator has disabled option 90 from that menu.

Plus, of course, signing off from the SysReq menu is probably just as dangerous as closing the window without first signing off.

The real problem isn't with how people sign off... it's with the way that the programs are written. Every interactive program should be designed to look for the user disconnecting, and handle shutdown of the code gracefully. It should be part of the programmer's testing regimen, and should be part of QA's testing as well.

But, we're still trying to convince people to stop writing code for the S/36 environment. Or for the (only slightly more modern) RPG III programming language. System i programmers don't ever want to change or learn anything new -- so we're stuck with what we have today.