Okay, understand that I am asking this question with absolutely NO knowledge
of the whole FSP concept, but my idea would be that, if I am using two FSPs,
one to fail over to the other, then I should be able to work in "windows".

First, I would want to be able to "flip a switch" (probably a software
command somewhere) saying "I am now no longer failover capable, and use FSP2
until further notice".  I would be unprotected from a disaster on FSP2, for
this window, but I would still be up and running.  During this window I
would upgrade FSP1.

Next, I would want to be able to again flip a switch to turn control from
FSP2 to FSP1, again not in failover mode.  This would do several things: it
would test and make sure the upgrade works, and it would give me an
immediate return to pre-upgrade if it doesn't, by switching control back to
FSP2.  Again, I am in a window with no failover capability but my system is
still running.

After a reasonable time to see that my system hasn't crashed, I would then
upgrade FSP2.  I might, at this point, switch control to FSP2 just as one
more redundancy check, and then finally I'd flip a switch that would get the
two to synchronize and act as failovers again.  Ta da!  Both updated, no
downtime.

We do something like this today with web appliance front ends and load
balancers.  You take one machine out of the balancer while it is being
upgraded then once it is upgraded, you put it back online.  If it operates
correctly, you then take the other machine offline and upgrade it.  Once
both are upgraded, they are both available to the balancer.

Joe

From: lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx

    Do you relly want your FSPs at different levels?