From: Brian

Better yet, how about you create and distribute a freeware utility like
WRKDBF with a timer set for a few years into the future so confidence in
the
utility is achieved then when the timer is tripped you start randomly
selecting a record from the file being updated and perform such mischief.
Do
you have a freeware utility like WRKDBF installed? Do you know what's in
the
code?

This message is not in anyway way meant to suggest that WRKDBF contains
any
malware but just used it as an example of freeware that is installed and
used by those with high-level authority without them really knowing what's
in the code.

Your point is well taken, Brian.  And while I'm reasonably certain that Bill
Reger didn't put any time bombs in WRKDBF <grin>, that's one reason why the
more security conscious managers I've met refuse to put ANY freeware on
their systems.

But then again, what's to stop say, a programmer at an ERP vendor or an AV
software vendor from doing the same thing?  Or even an IBM i5/OS programmer?
This is indeed a slippery slope, and eventually you end up chucking the
computer and going back to the abacus...

Joe