(This only applies to V5R3 / V5R4 with the latest ECS groups)

Besides the SNDSRVRQS *TEST (which tests the ECS connection), there
should be also be a QS9AUTOTST Job in the job scheduler. You can submit
that and have a look at WRKPRB and QSYSOPR messages (this tests the
Service Agent connection).

You can check the status of the connections using WRKTCPPTP and the "8"
option (spoolfiles of the tcp connections).

They're called QVPNIBM01 (for internet connections) or QLCLDIAL01 (for
modem connections).

These two are separate things, and both need to work to ensure
successful communication with IBM.

If you're on V5R3 or V5R4 (which you should be!), then you can also
reconfigure service agent to use the internet instead of a modem (using
the QESAADM user, and the GO SERVICE menu). Only V5R4 supports fully
working NAT traversal, though.

On V5R4, SNDPTFORD can download image catalogs directly to your system,
you don't have to mess with fix central or cd's anymore.

When you're doing your first SNDSRVRQS after a release change or on a
new machine, it takes ages, because a java job named QESECARE needs to
run for about ~30 minutes (no clue what it does).