Van: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Namens franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Verzonden: dinsdag 9 januari 2007 19:24
Aan: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Onderwerp: Re: RE: USDA Agency Looks to Consolidate 2,384 AS/400s

... it's the old creaky software that is dooming these 2400
AS/400's.

Who has said it's creaky old software?
There are many reasons some orgs keep old software, and one
reason is that maybe the software does exactly what they need.
I just replaced a Baby/36 (windoze server running 36 code)
with an i5. I tried all kinds of ways to sell them new features,
functions, etc, but all they wanted was a stable platform to run
their existing code. They are very happy.
IBM and others make money when they can sell something, so a happy
stable customer with few needs does not get their attention.
USDA may need better software, or maybe not....
Old (legacy)  <> bad. There are lots of ways to consolidate this
without
a rewrite.
jim