Dave

A couple more thoughts.

1. Yes, SAVOBJ onl goes down to the object type level. It's worse than you think - any DSPFs or PRTFs or any other object of type *FILE will be saved if you use generics that they match.

2. You can build a SAVOBJ from the objects, from the DSPOBJD output, as you obviously know. But you are limited to 300 object entries (including generic ones). There is an API, QSRSAVO, that lets you specify many more. I would use API QUSLOBJ instead of DSPOBJD to generate the object list, esp. as I'm comfortable with user spaces and APIs. It can be faster but is not a gain if this is run only once in a while.

3. There is good documentation on what happens when you save/restore PFs and related LFs. The order is crucial, as well as what exists where. Chapter 9 of the Backup and Recovery manual http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/rzaiu/sc415304.pdf has a section on how database files are handled. If you've not seen this, it will reward careful reading and answer things better than I can from memory. There's also a brief section on the order of restoring related objects.

4. Use DSPFD on the logical files in each test library to see what they are actually pointing to. Is all the restoring being done on the same system as the production files, or is it to a different system? Your narrative suggests the same box.

5. Logical files created in the test libraries without having the physical files present there first can result in what you describe. It does not really come from the SAV/RST process, but see the manual for more on this.

6. Once you have the PFs in the test libraries (can be empty) and have the LFs pointing to them properly, then you could use the CPYFRMTAP command to replace the contents of the PFs without having any adverse affects, AFAIK. I also think a restore should work, but it's been a while. I THINK you can restore the PF while the LFs are in place, but I'm not sure. So is you save the PF and its dependent LFs together, you are safe - the system handles this just fine. My concern comes when saving only the PF and restoring it - I don't know if it is like deleting the PF while its LFs still exist - this cannot be done.

But CPYFRMTAP avoids this - it does a CLRPFM, which the system will handle by updating the indexes. The PF is not deleted in this case.

7. You ask about access paths - LFs ARE the access paths, as well as a key on the PF and various constraints. Also SQL indexes - views are another matter altogether, I think. This is partly why I mention saving PFs and related LFs together if you are going to restore them together.

8. Finally, what about using DDM files and/or remote SQL to get the data over? Avoid tape altogether? DDM files take up no real space on DASD and are a communications portal, so to speak - they point at a remote machine, even using IP tp make the connection.

Am I getting the point of any of this? Hope so.   ;-)

Good luck
Vern