Davem comments inline

At 03:53 PM 8/30/2005, you wrote:

Vern,

Thanks for the additional thoughts.

2. Didn't know SAVOBJ was limited to 300 objects!  Using DSPOBJD will
help with this.    Don't know if the APIs are a good idea since this is
only done once per quarter but just in case, where are the APIs and can
they be called from REXX and/or CLP?

Both the QUSLOBJ and QSRSAVO APIs are simple program calls. They could be processed in CL. although easier in a pointer-capable language. They both use *USRSPC type objects. QUSLOBJ uses one that you give it for output of the list of objects. QSRSAVO wants you to put the specs into a *USRSPC as input. I'm not sure about working with user spaces in REXX - they cam be handled with IFS stream IO in other language - maybe REXX can handle that.

4.  I guess I'll have to make me a REXX EXEC that uses DSPFD in a loop
to look through all the LF objects in all the libraries of these
applications to find anomalies with where they point to their PFs.

I might use DSPFD to an outfile, like this:

DSPFD FILE(VHAMBERGO/*ALL) TYPE(*MBR) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) FILEATR(*PF) OUTFILE(VHAMBERGO/FDMBR)

Have you done native database IO in REXX yet? If not, I think you OVRDBF STDIN to point to the file you want to read, then "pull" and "parse" or something until there ain't no more records. I forget the test - you could call IBM support and get help on that if no one here knows. I used to know.

8. Your idea of remote SQL is what I was eluding to in a previous note
about doing INSERTS with SELECTS if DB2/400 can handle this type of
statement in DDM.   I'm a big fan of DDM since my days with DRDA between
DB2s in several VM boxes and MVS.

DDM and remote SQL are functionally different. With a DDM file (CRTDDMF) you simply point it to the remote PF - can be on the same system, I suppose. (I consider LPARs to be different systems, although in the same physical hardware.)

Then it is a simple matter of executing a CPYF with the production file as the FROM file and the DDM file as the TO file - ba-da-bing!

Remote SQL takes more setup - WRKRDBDIRE to set up the remote DB. You could do embedded SQL in REXX - I think it's pretty simple there - or use QM procedures, maybe. You'd need to point at the remote DB, then execute your insert. But this might not work at all - an INSERT INTO REMOTELIB/FILE (SELECT * FROM LOCALLIB/FILE) might not work because all SQL activity takes place on the remote DB.

So go with the CPYF if you do this - it's so easy.

Yep, your getting exactly the point!    Now to come up with a "best
answer" for repeated use once per quarter or when needs be.

Thanks,

Dave

This is enjoyable and interesting, glad I can stimulate thinking a little.