Chuck,

there is a small but relevant possibility that two UPS'es "in a chain" can
interfere with each other.
Think of it as a noise that is not filtered good enough to keep the
power line "clean",  there is a noise of high frequent parts from the
switching circuit that does the charging and/or controls the transformation
of power itself.
This is especially true, if the UPS has to recharge (high load for that circuit)
or to compensate for abnormal utility power.
The "clicking" may have been the switch of the internal UPS when noticing
an "abnormal" power situation and the taking over for a short period.
Normally it is *not* recommend to have two UPS-units after each other.
In short: if you have an external device for your server room, take care
that you don't have servers with internal UPS-units.

HTH, regards from Germany, Philipp Rusch