Loyd,

It's hard for me to tell.  I sense some reservation on your part to learn Java
or VB.  You're
entrenched in green screen?  Excuse me for being blunt, but, get over it.
Although you seem to
understand that there *probably* is a place for it, you're asking some
questions that I wouldn't
spend two seconds trying to answer, i.e., the "How does this make us money,
save us money, or open
opportunities?" questions.

Frankly, nowadays, if the boss asked me if I wanted to learn Java or VB, the
first words out of my
mouth would be "when can I begin?"  After being out of work twice for extended
periods in recent
history, and seeing AS/400 opportunities that required Java *work experience*
(read, not "I
learned Java several months ago, and can write a "Hello, World"), I would jump
on that opportunity
like flies on a, ehh, I can't finish that statement here.  Note my emphasis on
*work experience*;
I have found this to be an unavoidable requirement; taking classes and learning
it on your own
won't measure up according to these standards.

If I did try to answer those questions, I would probably ask back, "How can we
possibly know if
Java/VB will make $, save $, or open opps if we don't know how to use those
tools?"  Learn the
tools, spark the imagination, and move forward.

Mostly, though, get out of the green-screen entrenchment.  You'll increase your
value not only to
your employer, but to yourself as well.

My .02 and then some.

- Dan