It almost sounds to me like you are mixting apples & oranges.  I will have to
check the manual because it has been a few months since I was in 36 & how
fast we forget.

STR anything is to start something in the 400.
Sounds to me like you are using S36E

You can restore 36 stuff to either M36 or to 400 for S36E.

The users of M36 have to have profiles in the S/36 security.
If no one has setup S/36 security independently of 400 profiles, then you are
not using M36.

You get into M36 via the Advanced/36 menus ... explore GO CMDM36
There is a transfer command which gives you a S/36 sign on screen.
You can get at the transfer command in your own CL to feed in some defaults.
For example if the user-id is a legal user of the 400 reality, and the same
identical user-id is a legal user of the 36 reality, they do not have to go
through passwords to get from one reality to other.

The M36 source code is NOT VISIBILE from the 400.
You CANNOT compile M36 source code from OS/400.
You have to transfer from OS/400 to M36 & compile using RPGX or whatever the
36 compile commands were.

M36 does not have logical files.
M36 equivalent is alternate index files over physical files.
M36 does not have externally described files.