GO CMDM36
Notice the commands all have M36 in the string
Notice you need configuration stuff
The hardware needs to know which devices belong to which OS
Basically when M36 is running, it has certain work stations, printers,
communication lines etc. but when M36 is not running, as guest of 400,
everything reverts to 400 except the disk space, which can get confusing
You can have multiple M36 "partitions" each with some of the hardware

A user, who is at a work station, assigned to either 400 or 36, can hot key
to the other reality, but the command logic can get confusing, so we added
some menu options on both sides ... go to this menu to get to the other side
& on that menu was some text related to how to get back, but we still had
people who forgot their reality & started on one reality, transferred to the
other, then instead of "returning" they tried to transfer to the other, but
there was already the job running there which was the one that sent them over
& you got a lock up.

Also, do not be doing these transfers from either the 400 or the 36 main
console

My notes / memory may be a bit flawed, so you want to try this out - I do not
remember now if STRPASTHR is the command on the 36 or on the 400 to start the
whole thing rolling for the users

>From 36 to 400 & back again
This is when M36 is running & your work station is assigned to that M36
On 36 on command line (or from an OCL) = STRPASTHR or PASSTHRU
This gets you 400 sign on screen, or bypass & straight in, depending on your
setup
Return to 36 from 400 = ENDPASTHR
Do not do SIGNOFF ... that just gets you a sign on screen on 400 & not back
to 36

>From 400 to M36 & back again
This is when M36 is running & your work station is assigned to 400
On 400 command line (or from a CL) = TFRM36 or STRPASTHR
This gets you 36 sign on screen, or bypass & straight in, depending on your
setup
Return to 400 from M36

For this to be working smoothly there is a bunch of preparation work that has
to be done with the Advanced M36 Configuration M36CFG, you start M36 going
from 400 with STRM36PRC then you start the two realities talking to each
other through the ILAN.

On the OS/400 side it is vary on the APPC controller relevant to your M36
partition
On S/36 side you enable it with relevant configuration on comm line 15 or use
"D I" screen

I am assuming your reality is M36 as a guest of 400
There are other realities

You need some manuals for M36 navigation - here are two, there may be others

SC21-8384 Operator Tasks - Multiple Operating Systems
This has sections on what the SSP/36 guru needs to know about OS/400 & vica
versa, navigating between the 2 realities, understanding stuff that people
without M36 ILAN etc. do not need to know

IBM reference code ADV36QA otherwise known as FAQ/A36
This explains what can & cannot be done with ILAN, DDM, HLL compatibility,
hardware constraints, etc.

Again reminder - if you are on a current version of OS/400 you CAN NOT be
running M36 ... the only way to use this stuff is to be on an old version of
OS/400 ...M36 resides on disk space that gets assigned to its exclusive use.
OS/400 cannot access that disk space, except SAVE ALL does get it, although
the objects are not valid OS/400 objects so you are advised to do your 36
backups within M36 to be on the safe side.

BPCS 405 CD Manager / Programmer @ Global Wire Technologies Incorporated
http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com = new name same quality wire
engineering company: fax # 812-424-6838