C'mon John, apples and oranges. If the only computers ever made were the
ones being made in 1943, you think there'd be one in every house?

Tell me honestly, if you needed a pacemaker and it needed a computer running
it (from afar), would you rather have an AS/400 running it or an NT server?

In total honesty, I have felt that the people who deployed NT server for the
majority of applications in critical locations within enterprises over the
last 9 years are simply willing to rip off their employer for a paycheck.

Now, some of those people I am sure convinced themselves that they were
installing the best choice of application server. Some of the cases, it was
the best choice. But in the majority of cases it was not the best choice and
the person installing it either did or should have known that to be the
case.

The reason I feel so strongly about that is it shames me to think that my
profession is not only populated with the kind of whores who will install
whatever makes them money whether or not it is the best choice, but that is
exactly the sort of mentality that makes up the lion's share of this
profession.

I feel that there was a time when people would actually research technology
for a chosen application and would come back to management with what they
felt was the best solution. I feel that it is much more common to just
suggest the solution "I" know most about now. If an AS/400 professional
isn't willing to determine whether or not the AS/400 is the best choice to
deploy the new web app, and the NT professional isn't willing to determine
whether or not NT is the best backbone for the data warehouse, and on down
the line, then they are pretty low.

By the way, you should be careful before taking a shot like that about heads
of corporations, It could lead to some flood of quotes from current heads of
corporations.

Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net
"640k ought to be enough for anybody."