  • Subject: Re: Large screen monitor
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:53:56 EDT

In general I agree that there is a need to support both the PC-Based crowd &
have as much stuff as possible able to run on AS/400 without being
contaminated by PCs going down all the time.  Although I suspect that the
rate of PC go downs are related  to poor choices of monetary decisions where
PC hardware is under gassed for all the software that gets loaded on it.
There is often a lack of mental connection between what memory & DASD
requirements belong on a PC to support additional applications added to it &
which of those applications are inherently in conflict, or any regular review
of the degree to which PCs have become contaminated with poor choices of what
got added.

The end department wants this software upgrade.  Someone knows it won't work
good without an accompanying hardware upgrade.  Budget is constrained, so
they end up adding the software & not the hardware, and now they have a PC
that breaks down more often.

From the perspective of MIS, the AS/400 never goes down for years & years &
years.  The only reason we have to take it down for IBM maintenance &
hardware fixes is that we have not purchased all the protections against this
rare event, like RAID for example, so it is not really going down, we are
just paying for our penny pinching.  Or we go dedicated for some software
upgrade or application housekeeping functions.  The AS/400 is not down,
rather the application, that runs on it that everyone uses, goes down because
of bad design choices in the application that are not IBM's fault, other than
the fact that IBM was pushing various business partners on IBM's customers,
whose applications invite greater durations of down time for users of the
applications.

However, from the perspective of the end user on a server, every time we go
dedicated to run a backup or reorganize THEIR FILES, they think the system
has gone down, so from their perspective they think they want some
application that is independent of the system scheduled cycle of up down
activities, until they discover that it too has the same kind of needs & they
want MIS to do that for them.

>  From:    JSalter@acipco.com (Salter, James)

>  I have to agree with your point on Windows.
> Any software that I get for the AS/400 should not have any Windows
>  requirements.  Especially when you would
>  have to install stuff on every pc in order to use it.
>
>  I have found that the closer our environment is to the AS/400, the less
>  likely that we will have problems.  Someone here suggested a pc based
>  barcode product that should be used instead of the AS/400 in case the
AS/400
>  went down.  Well, considering the AS/400 doesn't go down unscheduled that
>  often, it was a bad choice already.  The pc product was extremely slow and
>  basically was scrapped.  Finally, they are considering the AS/400 options
>  for doing this.
>
>  Keep things on the AS/400 and it will keep running.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 running on
AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of Indiana--->Quality
manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical sub-assemblies