  • Subject: Re: Large screen monitor
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:57:56 GMT

The "CF" spec is just freeform, right? Use the regular text Format for
freeform lines.  (I did see the list of enhancements btw.  The listing is
early-on and much more is coming later I am sure.  Without some sort of
decent editor I don't see how you can even think of using the new
features.  The 5250 data stream just doesn't have the juice.)

I share your frustration with Code/400.  Just today my installation boiled
over and stopped working properly.  It will take a day or so next week to
figure out what went wrong.  I suspect someone made a "Windows Upgrade" on
my workstation and overwrote something vital.  But hey, that's the Windows
World and business managers just love it, so why fight it?

The Code/400 installation is clumsy and difficult and it is far from
intuitive to use but it offers so much more than SEU that it has to be
considered.  My personal favorite tool is the "indent view" for if-end
structures, and next favorite is the calc specs' opcode dropdown box that
lists all opcodes.  When an opcode is chosen and in focus, a click of the
Help displays the full section from the Reference Manual for that opcode.

The DDS piece is especially useful.  Start a DDS member, hit the Help, and
choose the list of all keywords that are available.  Pick a keyword and
get the reference manual and examples of how to use the keyword.

(btw, if any IBM people reading this are miffed about my comments on "ease
of installation", get 20 good RPG programmers that have never seen or used
Code/400 in a room  and give them a variety of machines and 20 CD's with
Code/400.  Promise them free pizza when 5 of them have written a "hello
World" program that works.  Add in free beer if it not only works, but
runs on the appointed AS/400.  Let them cheat, talk, rant, whatever they
want, but they can't go outside the room for help.  They may do it easily
but I'd bet $100 they won't be done in 4 hours.)

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com

Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@erros.co.uk>