There is one very good business reason for companies to ask for and require a degree. By only hiring people with a degree they can place the fault on the "failed, low quality" university the hired attended rather than having to look at and face the reality of a problem in their selection methodology should the person hired not perform.

I have several degrees and more credits than 8 full years of college all worthless unless I can convince you what they are worth. If you are in the middle of Death Valley with a bone dry mouth and I have water, I can convince you that a cup of my water is worth $50. A degree is like a $50 dollar bill. It is worth only as much as I personally believes and can convince you it is worth.

Recently rated as one of the top 2 "Best Buy" of regionally accredited higher education can be found at tesc.edu, one of the New Jersey state colleges. It has no football team, student union building or dorms. It has no library. With a qualified faculty, this state college allows and has graduated people that in just a few hours a week for less than 1 year have tested out of 85 percent of the courses for their degree and took the other 15 percent on-line at they own pace. A degree does not require wasting time sitting through lectures by a professor whose can not be understood. Most Americans believe a degree is granted following a school attempt to impart knowledge; Thomas Edison (tesc.edu) objectively recognizes-acknowledges achieved knowledge.
Doug Hart wrote:
*** Please pay close attention when replying to a message on this list!
*** If you want the reply to go to the list, use REPLY-TO-ALL
*** Recruiters may advertise only permanent employment positions in this list.


I'm not sure rules like that a legal. If it is written policy they are
possibly open to litigation.

I have consulted at companies that claimed they could not hire me because of
my lack of a diploma. 1st the reason I was there was because their own,
degreed, staff could not do the job. And 2nd I was making more money than
any of them. Their policy really didn't bother me.

Doug Hart - Principal Consultant
IBM iSeries Certified Specialist


-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-jobs-bounces+doughart.consulting=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-jobs-bounces+doughart.consulting=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Debbie Panco
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 4:18 PM
To: midrange-jobs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MIDRANGE-JOBS] Degree Required

*** Please pay close attention when replying to a message on this list!
*** If you want the reply to go to the list, use REPLY-TO-ALL
*** Recruiters may advertise only permanent employment positions in this
list.


For us there is a corporate rule that anyone in management MUST have a
degree. So, if an IT person wanted to become a programming/systems/
operations manager, they couldn't do it. Stops the climbing of the ladder
if that is what one wants to do.

Debbie Panco
Senior Systems Analyst / Project Leader
United Consumer Financial Services
865 Bassett Road
Westlake, Ohio 44142
dpanco@xxxxxxxx
440-835-6674




This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2020 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].