Hi all,

Upgrading Ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10 has proven to be a hair-pulling
experience for me. After trouble shooting for 6hrs I am still not able to
boot into the latest kernel version from GRUB and instead am booting into a
previous 9.10 kernel version which seems to also cause my sound and printer
to not work (among other things) which means I have no Skype (something I
use for business). This is my first "I can't seem to fix this" for Linux -
took 1.5 years to get to it. Here is the issue for anybody wanting to know:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades#Unable%20to%20Load%20Linux%20Drive

Anyways, I am wondering what others are using for Linux desktops that don't
screw you over if you choose to upgrade after a new version has had ample
time to fix any issues. After doing some reading it seems Ubuntu likes to
be more on the bleeding edge and I would rather NOT be bleeding or on the
edge for my business desktop.

Bruce Hoffman mentioned Fedora as a solid choice on iWeekly last week. What
do others recommend?

My application needs:
- VirtualBox
- JungleDisk
- Firefox (Flash needs to work well, no hacks)
- OpenOffice
- Pidgin
- SOAPUI
- tn5250j
- RPGNextGen
- Skype
- Filezilla

BTW, I am doing my best to resist getting a MacBookPro. I am in need of a
new laptop, and now a reformat of my desktop, so I am highly tempted to
migrate based on the many hours of consulting I lost.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/