Aaron,

I think you are having issues with legacy Grub and Grub2. I originally
upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic while keeping legacy Grub and a few months
down the road I started experiencing issues with certain kernals not
distributions. I loaded Linux Mint 8 with Grub2 and ext4 and it fixed my
Grub issues with Karmic ..... for a while. One day I could not boot to
Karmic at all. I ended up converting my Karmic partition to Grub2, and
though I still get the Linux Mint flash screen it has all the Karmic
kernals to load and I have not had any issues since. It was pretty
frustrating for a while. You will have to boot from a Live CD to fix
convert your Karmic partition to Grub2. I think this is the help that I
used. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

I have experimented with Fedora 12 and it seems like a fine
distribution. The rub I had with it wasn't Fedora, but IBM's dismal
maintenance of the iSeries Access for Linux package. Anytime a group of
updates came through, I had to find the Motif and ODBC upgrades and
dis-allow them. Sorting through a hundred updates was a pain. I never
have that issue with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

I have tried a number of Linux distributions, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse,
Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS and a couple others and I keep coming back to
Ubuntu. I am going to try Debian shortly, as I had to get a Debian sound
patch for KdenLive to work on Ubuntu. If you have a certain hardware
issue with one distribution, I have found that because it runs at the
kernal level, all the distributions have the issue. On my Thinkpad R61,
the internal mic doesn't work, except for a patch from a user. It
doesn't work with any of the distributions. One of Linux's week points.

If you haven't tried Clonezilla, I would recommend it. You can save your
Karmic partition to an image on another partition, or a SATA or a NAS,
and if you have issues you can restore the image fairly quickly.

HTH,

Jay