On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Aaron Bartell wrote:

Anyways, I am wondering what others are using for Linux desktops that don't
screw you over if you choose to upgrade after a new version has had ample
time to fix any issues.  After doing some reading it seems Ubuntu likes to
be more on the bleeding edge and I would rather NOT be bleeding or on the
edge for my business desktop.

Bruce Hoffman mentioned Fedora as a solid choice on iWeekly last week.  What
do others recommend?

Personally I run Slackware on everything. It runs all my servers, desktops, and laptops. Slackware is very highly regarded when it comes to stability. I recommend it.

My application needs:
- VirtualBox

Never used this, but I have used vmware without problem.

- JungleDisk

Never even heard of this

- Firefox (Flash needs to work well, no hacks)
- OpenOffice
- Pidgin

These three all run perfectly

- SOAPUI

Never heard of this either

- tn5250j

I actually helped with tn5250j ages ago :)

- RPGNextGen

I haven't tried this

- Skype

I use this, though rarely

- Filezilla

I've never used this

James Rich

if you want to understand why that is, there are many good books on
the design of operating systems. please pass them along to redmond
when you're done reading them :)
- Paul Davis on ardour-dev