Not a question of shouldn't, really.  I just want you to understand what you're
doing.  Let's review:

1. You need a certain package to compile your class
2. That means it will need that package when it runs
3. This implies that it must exist on your AS/400
4. So, QED, you should be ablt to get any jars you need from your 400

Now, all that said, there are reasons to get packages from other places.  For
example, the JTOpen version of the toolbox is usually a little bit ahead of the
one shipped with the 400, AND it has source!  But, once you download that and
start using it, you have to make sure to put a copy on your AS/400 available to
your applications.  Make sense?

Okay, as far as the "standard" JAR files go (such as the current servlet.jar)
the one on your AS/400 SHOULD match the one from Sun, but you may want to
compare them just to doublecheck.  They ought to be he same size and have the
same time and date stamp.  If not, then you may have some version
incompatibilities - it's no different than using a different version of a DLL.

BTW, the two files I mentioned, jsdk.jar and jst.jar, are from version 2 of
WebSphere and work with JDK1.1; I should have stated that in my message.  I
used those because that's the version I just got done teaching in Milwaukee.  I
should have realized you're on JDK1.2, but sometimes I get a little lost in the
version maze myself.

Joe