Michael:

Since your question about +/- 28 has evolved into a discussion about the merits
of that method, I feel it is only fair to present some cautions as well a very
strong alternative.

We at Nexgen are certainly biased toward date expansion (converting 6 digit
YYMMDD to 8 digit CCYYMMDD and 2 digit YY fields to CCYY) because that is the
approach we have been using for the past 3 years.  With over 300 customers and
conversion projects now taking as little as 3 weeks (including testing), we are
confident that field expansion is both superior and as quick or quicker to
implement compared to +/- 28.

Refer also to an article of mine that appeared in the November 9, 1998 issue of
Midrange Systems magazine regarding the drawbacks of encapsulation.

     http://www.nexgeninfo.com/debunk.htm

A Tale of Caution:
Recently, Nexgen contracted with a new services customer to "Finish their Y2K
testing" that another firm had started.  The other firm had been contracted to
implement +/- 28 solution and also to do the testing on a "time and materials
basis".   Our customer finally kicked the other firm out because the testing was
turning up date-related bug after bug and costing our customer thousands.

Once Nexgen started the testing project, it only took a couple of days before we
saw some of the horrifying results.

I have XXXX'ed out proprietary information (to protect the innocent) but the
following is an true screen capture that speaks for itself:
 ORD500-02         ##*!* XXXXXXX 3.0 Y2K LIVE SYSTEM *!*##   QPADEV0006  9/01/71
 Notice the system date!
 Revise                       Customer Order Entry           XXXXXXXX   10:16:28
 Order/Customer .  XXXXX / 100316                Ship-To    1  *     Store
 Name . . . . . . XXXXXM PRECISION XXXXXNG       XXXXXM PRECISION XXXXXXXNG, INC
 Attention. . . .
 Address 1. . . . 11 XXXXX ROAD                  11 XXXXX ROAD
 Address 2. . . .
 Address 3. . . . XXXXXX                         XXXXXXX
 Ste/Post/Country XX  XXXX0     USA              XX  XXXXX0     USA
 Salesperson/CC .     36 *     XXXN XXXXXXXX     Split . . . . .         *
 Co. / P/C  . . . 20  *  100           *
 Default Whse . . XX XXXXXXE MASTER WAREHOUSE    Customer PO . . 66869
 PIC Revised date  9/01/71                       Cert. . . . . .
 Notice Revised and Orig Dates!
 PIC Orig Date. .  9/01/71                       Terms . . . . . 30  *
 Print .......... T                              Terms Desc. . . NET 30
                                                 Cust Tax Code .
                                                 G/L Reason Code        *
                                                 Condition/Sale
 Corporate Cust . XXXXXX XXXXXX PRECISIO         Credit. . . . .
 Order Status . . H * Credit hold                Bank. . . . . .      *
                                                 Payment . . . . C  *
 F1=Help  F4=Prompt  F5=Refresh  F12=Cancel  F14=Add Info  F15=Ship-to Maint
 F16=Customer Notes  F17=Order Notes  F18=Ship-to Inquiry  F21=Delete Order

It has been an uphill struggle the entire way through this testing project.  We
probably won't take on another testing project where the client used +/- 28.

Be warned.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Michael     |
|        |          BOURDIN"     |
|        |          <MKLBOURDIN@w|
|        |          anadoo.fr>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          09/13/99     |
|        |          01:30 PM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          BPCS-L       |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     bpcs <BPCS-L@midrange.com>                                   |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Dan Mitchell/Nexgen)                                   |
  |       Subject:     Y2K tools for BPCS 5.1                                  |

Just few questions about some Y2K tools on BPCS V5.1
1) Is there any tools that convert the Date (-28 yrs) automatically in the
database ?
2) Is there some people who has already install them (and successfully test
them) ?
3) How many time to setup ?

Pls Answer me about this (because the Due Date of the Y2K is not
discutable!).

Regards.
Michael.

+---