Michael:

My answer to your question is that date field expansion is just as quick to
implement and does not cost more than +/- 28.

I understand that your situation is temporary.   We have many clients who bought
Focus/2000 even while they were implementing version 6.X.

The reasons they did this were many and varied:
1.  Their version 6.X implementation projects were taking much longer then they
had expected - they discovered that they would not get "up" in time on V6
2.  They began to realize that the custom portions of their systems (those not
handled by BPCS) would have to be remediated for Y2K anyway - some of those
custom apps would actually be retained for a number of years
3.  They learned from Nexgen's references that Focus/2000 and date expansion is
very quick to implement and also very thorough
4.  They learned that they had the option to outsource the entire Y2K project to
Nexgen or one of its distributors (including distributors in Europe) so that the
client could focus its resources on the version 6.X project
5.  In some cases, they learned that Nexgen's services organization could also
help them get on track with their version 6.X project
6. They needed a contingency plan

In fact Michael, your situation is not that uncommon -- only that you are really
starting to run out of time to act.

If you do not think that your version 6.1 project will complete in time you
must:
1. Remediate your existing code and data with the most robust approach that can
be completed in the time that is available.
2. Choose a solution and partner that is willing and able to put their arms
around your entire BPCS system including modifications and custom enhancements.
3. Realize that the solution you implement must accomodate dates within
interfaces outside of BPCS including EDI, CIM, queries, spreadsheets and other
non-BPCS applications -- you will also have to assess Y2K readiness of those
external systems
4. Don't trust anyone who says testing is not important after remediation

Thanks for your question.  As difficult as it may be to believe, with only three
months left,  there are many companies who have not yet started their Y2K
remediation.  Fortunately, with technology like Focus/2000, there is a
reasonable chance that you and they can implement the better Y2K solution in the
time remaining.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "MKL"        |
|        |          <MKLBOURDIN@w|
|        |          anadoo.fr>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          09/16/99     |
|        |          11:44 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          BPCS-L       |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     BPCS-L@midrange.com                                          |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Dan Mitchell/Nexgen)                                   |
  |       Subject:     RE: Y2K tools for BPCS 5.1                              |

Mitchell,

I agree, the screen speaks for itself.
BUT, this Y2K statment (-28 yrs) will be a TEMPORARY statment, while we are
setting up a BPCS V6.1 release. So, it's a questions of few weeks, not for
ever !!
So, my questions were for only a temporary solution.
Pls give me your ideas on this solution based on that hypothesis.
Thanks,
Michael.