  • Subject: Re: Data Extract Tool
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:29:30 EDT

>From Al Macintyre at Central Industries

>  From:    pcrites@gbc.com (James Camp using Paul's id)

>  BPCS/AS-400 Community,
>     We need to build a small test database from an existing system.
> Initially,
>  this will be BPCS, but the intention is to be able to use this tool for
> other systems which we have/will have.
>     Is anyone aware of such a tool, similar to something called ExtractDB?

>     Any and all responses would be appreciated.

My definition of a small test data base from a larger system is one in which
we only have the files that are neccessary for whatever scenario or items
being tested or audited, not the entire BPCS baggage, and we have selected
data that has inter-related continuity.  Instead of tens of thousands of
items, just a few score or hundred, not chosen at random, and with intact BOM
chains & the various other records essential to those items & just those
items.  Not ALL orders that are in the system, but a small portion, and the
neccessary customers & vendors & master file contents relevant to this
selection.

I have never fulfilled this dream.  It has been simpler to copy entire master
static files, leave dynamic files empty & re-launch comparable data for
simulation purposes.

I think that AUDITORS have a similar interest to this TESTING perspective ---
they want to select representative items & check out that the data we have on
those items is correct - all the data, not just on-hand totals --- what is a
good way to get that data to them to check?

Then if they see a pattern of error, that tells us which kinds of data need
to be checked out on a larger sampling of items.

1. We give them copies of various BPCS 405 reports that is a list of items
with summary information.

We have also, on occasion, sent them directories of the kinds of data we have
on any given item, and lists of reports available, by our title.

This can be misleading, since the data might be the same on all items & the
reports might be misnamed.

They do whatever they do & send us a list of items they are interested in
more information on, which might be a tiny fraction of 1% of all our items.

2. We send them more detailed reports of information on those items.

I think, that if this was not in violation of SSA licensing agreement (I do
not know if it is or is not), it might be more useful to the auditors
(especially if they are on OS/400 similar to ours to have a tool that says

for these item #s given to us by the auditors

copy just the relevant data from the relevant files

and send the auditors a data base of just those items & their corresponding
files with lead times & costs & BOM & history - the physical data, external
file layout, source code of file layout, no logicals - let the auditors use
this to gain whatever correlations meet their fancy.

When we were on S/36 testing modifications, I sometimes copied only those
files needed by the software to be tested, into their own data base (like a
BPCS/400 environment).

On BPCS/400 I have a hard enough job just refreshing the test environment
data with contemporary live production file data in its entirety, let alone
extracting a smaller more manageable representative sampling for purposes of
testing & education.

There are some AS/400 & BPCS/400 add-on products that might help towards this
task - I am just "thinking out loud here" - I have not actually done this.

Check out "BPCS Lite"
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/services.html

Several other BPCS consultants offer AS/400 services aimed at eliminating
stuff you do not need & helping your BPCS performance, but this is only a
first step

During our Y2K conversion, we used FILE TRACK from OUTLOOK
http://www.outlookcomputing.com

Our interest was in transferring modifications to new fields, resolving Y2K
issues, and re-structuring our numbering system as we merged 4 data bases
BPCS/36 style into 1 environment BPCS/400 style.  However, from what I
remember of using the product, it could also be used as a Data Extract
Project.
1. Designate your rules for what will be extracted - some extremes,
representative data, some ranges & File Track will do that just for the files
you apply those rules to.
2. Copy other files records that are interconnected, but ONLY the records
that are needed for your selection criteria.
3. In later tests you can change your extraction rules.

Consider archiving, generally marketed as a tool for data mining, off-loading
historical files until we really need them, spool file management, etc. but
perhaps we could use the archiving tools to select the data we really need in
a test environment, then instead of actually removing what we have copied,
and instead of it going to the archives, our test environment gets what we
have selected.
http://www.arctools.com
http://www.helpsystems.com

There are many vendors with products that take AS/400 spool reports to PC &
then you manipulate the data there, such as
Monarch from Data Watch 800-445-3311 (I do not have their web site URL)
& I can cite over a dozen other places like this, if you have the interest

Thus one could use Query or other tools to identify the data that we desire
in our little test data base, then get the report not to spool but *OUTFILE
then use SQL to grab the records on those item#s order#s customer#s etc. &
copy them into the other environment's corresponding external file structures.

Another idea - when you do physical inventory - copy that file to some other
environment - manipulate the contents, on basis of item class & eliminating
small potatoes or whatever your criteria is, so that it has a small portion
of your total inventory - dump it into the opening balances of test
environment, run BPCS reorgs to eliminate zero records.

Al Macintyre
+---