RE: Curious about IBM PCI Twinax card for PC experiences.

fixed

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we used those cards. We discovered that once you make a TCP/IP over Ethernet connection one time, the twinax cards would never again function, even if you unplugged the Ethernet cable. IBM support was unable to find a solution and the only option was a reload of Windows on every PC. This was TCP/IP over Twinax. If your server is old enough to still support SNA, you "might" be OK but YMMV.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rene K. [mailto:kraats@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 3:24 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Curious about IBM PCI Twinax card for PC experiences.

Greetings all,

I was curious if anybody has ever worked with these IBM PCI Twinax adapter cards (for PC) that you sometimes see on Ebay.
Are these good substitutes for a 5250 console? Or are they something to steer away from?

I'm considering putting one of these in my Operations Console PC, as a addition to it's LAN console functionality.

Regards,

Rene.