While installing the internal docking station from IBM (goes in the slot
where a tape drive might go), I noticed that the device was manufactured by
Tandberg Data - which has an interesting 8-slot RDX docking station which
utilizes an iSCSI interface.

http://www.tandbergdata.com/us/index.cfm/products/removable-disk/rdx-quikstation/

There seems to be quite a bit of documentation regarding IBM i support for
iSCSI - but would it work with such a device?

Richard, regarding the BlacX, I would try connecting it to one of the the
Power Server's external USB adapters and see what happens. I have tried
various USB sticks, which work fine - as expected.

-Nathan.