Their price goes up as fewer folks are on those machines. That means:

Fewer people supporting the parts inventory.
Fewer people trained to work on those servers.
Remember IBM's parts are all certified refurbished and tested, the ebay guy may or may not have done anything with his. Personally I sell drives on Ebay but I format each one before I ship it.

The third party guys are also trying to make a buck. So they price a bit below IBM and hold their costs down. My dad did that from 1967 to 1999. When he started he got a crapload of training on any new item they sold a contract on. By the 1990s it was "Here's the book."

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis