Now Now that $30 part on ebay comes, you hope, functional and no more.

You need to know what part is required.
You need to be available to replace it.
You need to have the skill to replace it.
You need to be able to stand the downtime while the ebay part winds its way to your facility.
Clearly if the machine is a sandbox or test perhaps you might go the 'self maintenance' route. But you sure don't want to do that for production.
If you are busy with something else and suddenly you're changing hats and now you're derailed into this maintenance it's lost time.

It reminds me of my cousin. He milks cows, a LOT of cows, THOUSANDS of cows. At each of his facilities a minimum of three tanker trucks leave every day. One of his friends saw the truck fleet owner there one day in a VERY nice car. He suggested my cousin should truck his own milk and not have to pay for that car. My cousin is a very good businessman. His reply is excellent. "I make milk. I am very good at it. I don't own trucks. I don't have drivers. I don't know highway rules. I don't have a facility to maintain trucks. I don't have spare trucks. I don't have backup drivers. I need that guy to bring to each facility three trucks a day, every day, in every weather, on every holiday, with drivers, fuel, permits, licenses, etc, without fail. I want him to make enough money by doing that so that he ALWAYS brings those trucks. Our deal is simple, I make milk, he ships milk. We both make money doing what we know how to do."

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com