Chuck,

I must admit, I also thought there was an issue with using multiple
journals in the same transaction...

But I see only a recommendation:

- To simplify recovery, assign objects that are used together in the
same application to the same journal.

Along with a confirmation of what you indicated

- Files opened under the same commitment definition within a job can be
journaled to different journals. In commitment control, each journal is
considered a local location.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzaki/rzakiobjassnjrn.htm

Charles