http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Setting_up_a_printer

Disregarding the twinax <http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Twinax> option
as it's unlikely to be used for a new printer, the above document lays out
4 options for printing to a
TCP/IP<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=TCP/IP&action=edit&redlink=1>
network
attached printer.

- A *LAN *IPDS<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=*IPDS&action=edit&redlink=1>
device
description
- A *LAN 3812
SNMP<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=SNMP&action=edit&redlink=1>
device
description
- A *LAN 3812
IPP<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=IPP&action=edit&redlink=1>
device
description
- A *LAN 3812
PJL<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=PJL&action=edit&redlink=1>
device
description
- A Remote Output Queue
(RMTOUTQ<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=RMTOUTQ&action=edit&redlink=1>)
(also known as
LPD<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php?title=LPD&action=edit&redlink=1>
/[LPR]]

The list above as been reordered from the list shown in the IBM document
based upon order of preference. A *LAN *IPDS device is the most preferred
option for an IBM System i network printer; while a Remote Output Queue is
the least preferred. The relative preference of SNMP, IPP, and PJL are
subjective and based upon the SNMP vs
IPP<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_thread/thread/ac498c2f598ca7c7/1bd1927e5fec4079>
thread
in the comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc newsgroup.

Charles

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Mike Cunningham