From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Wiant
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:19 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Checking object create dates

Glad it's better.

My full solution to make sure my test environment matched production used API's, output written into a file and then the files compared. For all objects in the libraries I was concerned with I first determined the object type, then called an appropriate API (main RPG programs displays the objects in the library out to a file then reads the file and checks the type and calls subroutines):

*PGM QCLRPGMI (if ILE, also calls QBNLPGMI and outputted into a user space to flip though the modules).
Store source file name and library and member, and source update time for comparison for the program or each ILE module
*FILE QDBRTVFD (format FILD0200)
Store the level identifier (this API is no fun at all)
*DTAARA QWCRDTAA
Store the type, length and decimal positions if any
*DTAQ QMHQRDQD
Store the message length, key length, if sender id included, type, max entries and a couple other assorted
(Was somewhat lazy and omitted DDM data queues)

Then when the file is built with the above data from the production system I send it to the test system, run the same code over the test libraries into a different file and then compare the results. Anything that doesn't match I take an extra look at.

This gives me a good confidence my test libraries match production with the exception of objects actually being tested. Clearly I don't cover all object types and there certainly are ways that some differences could be missed, but I feel this is a good general regular accounting (I run it weekly) that tells me that objects aren't going into production without going through test first and/or that my environment does not reflect production - which are my main concerns. Of course in the file comparison mismatches are reported as well (on one system but not on the other).

Hope this helps

James P. Wiant
Test System Administrator

FOODSTUFFS
NORTH ISLAND LIMITED

DD: 09 621 0774 | M: 027 463 4159| P: 09 621 0600 DX Box CX 15021 or PO Box 27480 Mount Roskill, Auckland 1440, New Zealand

Fast is fine. Accuracy is everything
Earp, Wyatt