That sounds like a training issue, not a SQL issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Rodriguez [mailto:luisro58@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:44 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: DDS field reference equivalent in SQL

In our case, we found that the developers were being quite "liberal" in assigning column names and attributes each time they defined a table (even temporary ones), so you could find CUSTNAME CHAR(35), CNAME CHAR(40) and so on. Many times even one same developer had different "versions" of the column.

So it was decided to create one big table where CUSTNAME was defined
(hopefully) just once, with the required attributes. An added value was that the column's LABEL attributes wre "inherited" in the new table.

Best Regards,

Luis Rodriguez
IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5 iSeries