From: Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 17:30
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: From HMC to No-HMC?

Sean,

Maybe some clarification is in order.

There are two Ethernet ports on the HMC, they are Eth0 and Eth1 (keep in mind the base of the HMC appliance is Linux)

Either port can be deemed a "private" port. It is done when you configure the Ethernet on the port. When the port is "Private" the HMC expects there to be a connection to the HMC port on the back of the FSP. It sets up DHCP and firewall rules appropriately. When the HMC attempts to connect to the FSP, the FSP requests an address from the HMC, which is either a DHCP address within one of several ranges (the HMC has a DHCP server in it), or a static address, again at your choice when you set up the Ethernet connection on the HMC. The HMC password is set and the connection is made. It is "private" only because the only systems on this network are the HMCs and the FSPs.

The public port is called that only because there are devices other than the FSP and HMC on that LAN. Otherwise there is very little difference between the two. I normally do not put any of the FSPs on the public network as a security precaution. As Rob has pointed out, there is some level of protection in the public network but not enough for me to bet the system on.

Clear as mud?

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects