replicating an I-series home-grown application to a .net platform

fixed

My company is replicating our I-series home-grown application to a .net platform for read-only. This .net app will provide customers with a typical web-based myAccount view as seen on many websites.

I have two questions for this forum:

1) For the read-only mirrored version on .net, does it make sense to have referential integrity (RI) constraints on file relationships? Either from a purist database design standpoint or from a common business rules standpoint? It seems to me that one HAS to assume that the source app has R-I that is intact, and it seems to be asking for trouble and headaches to try to enforce RI on a mirrored system that is read-only. This will require file loads and updates in a certain sequence, which could be problematic IMO.

2) Do other companies try to replicate an app onto another platform in almost real-time? It seems that it would be SOoooo much simpler to read the Iseries DB directly. Is this replication a common practice today? Or is it more suited to the 1990's?

This outbound email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Skyscan service.