I've worked with multiple home grown replication...none of which
worked all that good... :)

There's a reason you pay big $$$ for commercial replication solutions.

I suggest hitting the iSeries directly. However, instead of hitting
the tables directly, consider building stored procs on the i that the
.NET app can call.