Sorry but who is the unwise person who wants to make this decision:-)

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Stone, Joel <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My company is replicating our I-series home-grown application to a .net
platform for read-only. This .net app will provide customers with a
typical web-based myAccount view as seen on many websites.

I have two questions for this forum:

1) For the read-only mirrored version on .net, does it make sense to
have referential integrity (RI) constraints on file relationships? Either
from a purist database design standpoint or from a common business rules
standpoint? It seems to me that one HAS to assume that the source app has
R-I that is intact, and it seems to be asking for trouble and headaches to
try to enforce RI on a mirrored system that is read-only. This will
require file loads and updates in a certain sequence, which could be
problematic IMO.

2) Do other companies try to replicate an app onto another platform
in almost real-time? It seems that it would be SOoooo much simpler to read
the Iseries DB directly. Is this replication a common practice today? Or
is it more suited to the 1990's?

This outbound email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs
Skyscan service.
For more information please visit