Re: replicating an I-series home-grown application to a .net platform

fixed

I haven't done any .NET development, and indeed I don't have nearly
the kind of experience others on this forum have in terms of "IBM i
plus other stuff" (be it Web or communicating with Microsoft or Oracle
databases or what have you). So my opinion should be weighted
accordingly.

2) Do other companies try to replicate an app onto another
platform in almost real-time? It seems that it would be SOoooo
much simpler to read the Iseries DB directly. Is this replication
a common practice today? Or is it more suited to the 1990's?

I can't speak to how common it is. I will say that I agree with you
100% that it would be simpler to just read the actual i data. I don't
think it's a convincing argument to say "well, SQL Server code is so
much simpler than RPG code" because you don't have to use RPG to read
the data on the i! There are many ways to get at data on the i
without having a separate copy of it, some of which are comparable to
what you'd write for SQL Server, including using .NET languages and
tools. (And some which I think some developers would find even
easier. For that matter, some developers would find RPG easier
anyway, depending on the nature of the application and the data that
needs to be retrieved.)

John