>I looked in the error log and it is not a text file,

Sounds like you are using Apache.  The log is Unicode, I think.  You should
be able to use wrklnk to drill down and look at it from the green screen
side.  Or use a Unicode-aware editor like Unired.
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/unired>

>In the access log there is a line that concerns me. See below.
>
>172.16.244.43 - - [29/May/2003:09:27:47 +0000] "GET
>/images/escpicturephoto.jpg HTTP/1.0" 3021 53460
>"http://172.16.248.27:9010/"; "Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)"
>"

I had to scrounge a bit to find the correct RFC (2616)
<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.txt> and of course 3021 is not
listed there.  I took a stab and guessed that the 3021 is a Unix return code
EINVAL (Invalid Value).  This may indicate that you aren't current on PTFs,
because if Apache is throwing that error, it is probably a program bug.
EINVAL is a parameter error like passing open() an empty string for the file
name.

There is a really good chance that my guess is wrong though, so I urge you
to check the error log.  There is freely available software you can use to
analyse your logs for you if you are uncomfortable with WRKLNK or EDTF.
<http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/> <http://www.analog.cx/>

Hopefully, my post has given someone more knowledgeable than me a new idea.
  --buck