Where did you put the workspace? Is that on the thumb drive?

It is good that you found that the key might be a problem - but for the benefit of others reading this ... No key was needed for the base experiment. The license runs for 120 days without a key.

Jon

On Nov 2, 2020, at 10:21 AM, smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Over the weekend I contacted a friend and explained that I wanted to try to install RDi on a thumb drive and take it for a test run. After discussing the details, he agreed to let me use his key for TESTING PUIRPOSES ONLY.

I was able to install full blown RDi 9.5 on a thumb drive. The install took a long time but once it is installed, it is not slow as I feared. However, as a disclaimer here, I have done very little with RDi so I'm sure I didn't put it through its paces and seriously test the performance. I also installed EVERYTHING so I could see the footprint on the drive and the install size is about 8.5G. That does not take into account anything else that it stores such as source being worked on.

Now the problem. I moved the thumb drive to a different laptop like I would if a client gave me theirs to use. I can start RDi from the thumb drive but when I try to access my library to select a source member to work on, I get a license error. I moved the thumb drive back over to my other laptop, connected to the same machine, and it worked fine. My guess is that the license key was installed on the laptop and not the thumb drive. Without the license key being stored on the thumb drive, I am still stuck because I don't want to put my license key on a client machine.

Does anyone have any experience with the licensing that can help point me in the right direction?

-----Original Message-----
From: WDSCI-L <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 5:24 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Is RDi 9.5, RDP 8.0 or even WDSCi 7.0 still in use?

As I said before I would recommend against a thumb drive - unless you buy a very expensive one.

As to the install footprint - I run a Mac and it would not be a useful number for you.

Funilly enough very few of my customers would ever risk letting me plug a thumb drive into their machines - too much risk of infection. In fact most of their staff have the USB ports disabled on their machines.