Just some random comments related to this thread..

For the "ERROR decoding EStdString" I think that generally comes from an
exception to the readErrString() on the debug connection (no I don't have
the code). Currently there are two APARs open for this, one against the IBM
i debugger (SE66930) that won't get fixed until near the end of the year I
think and another one for RDI (SE67027). From what I recall they are both
edge conditions that most folks should not hit.

In a suitably vague kind of way think of the SEP being set to connect the
current job running for RDI (i.e., the IBM i side manifestation of the
workspace) with the Service Entry Breakpoint. So if you disconnect (close)
the workspace from the IBM i the job goes away and your SEP is gone, or at
least no longer associated with the current workspace. In other words when
you restart RDI your SEP will be gone.

Closing RDI (or any Eclipse-based application) can lead to bad results.
Some settings may be saved some not, some partially which leads to a
corrupted, and often non-functional workspace. I do realize that sometimes
things end unexpectedly, the power goes out or whatever but other than that
I would highly recommend shutting down apps cleanly for maximal happiness.

All just my opinion ya know - in case someone takes this seriously ...


Mike Hockings, M.Eng., P.Eng.
IBM Rational Developer for System z and Power Systems Software Technical
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory

From: Glenn Gundermann <glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Client for System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2017/04/05 11:45
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Problems debugging with RDi SEP - breakpoints have no
Sent by: "WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi folks,

I'm using RDi version

I love RDi but boy can it be frustrating when it doesn't work.

After successfully debugging with RDi several times through this morning,
it stopped working.
I closed RDi.

After starting RDi again, the SEP was not listed. After trying to Set
Service Entry Point, I received the "ERROR decoding EStdString" message.

I tried to execute the program anyway.

When I executed the program that I was trying to debug, it stopped, and yet
RDi was not showing it in Debug. I could not click anything to resume the
program execution. I had to close RDi again.

After issuing ENDDBGSVR/STRDBGSVR, I was able to Set Service Entry Point
again without an error message.

Now the debugger won't stop at the breakpoints. I've removed and added new
breakpoints. Clicking Resume blows right through the whole program.

Green-screen STRDBG works fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yours truly,

Glenn Gundermann
Email: glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx
Work: (905) 486-1162 x 239
Cell: (416) 317-3144
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list
To post a message email: WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/wdsci-l
or email: WDSCI-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...


Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.