I've seen that message before, but I can't recall when/why.
Any time RDi is acting strangely, I end the process with Task Manager. I don't close it normally, because I don't want it saving any settings.
Restarting RDi fixes most of my debug troubles. Plan B would be to restart the job I'm debugging and/or bounce the debug server. Plan C would be to clear cache and/or start with -clean option.
From: Glenn Gundermann [mailto:glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 10:45 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Problems debugging with RDi SEP - breakpoints have no effect
I'm using RDi version 126.96.36.199.
I love RDi but boy can it be frustrating when it doesn't work.
After successfully debugging with RDi several times through this morning, it stopped working.
I closed RDi.
After starting RDi again, the SEP was not listed. After trying to Set Service Entry Point, I received the "ERROR decoding EStdString" message.
I tried to execute the program anyway.
When I executed the program that I was trying to debug, it stopped, and yet RDi was not showing it in Debug. I could not click anything to resume the program execution. I had to close RDi again.
After issuing ENDDBGSVR/STRDBGSVR, I was able to Set Service Entry Point again without an error message.
Now the debugger won't stop at the breakpoints. I've removed and added new breakpoints. Clicking Resume blows right through the whole program.
This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact
Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.