Just to clarify, RDi does not 'require' administrator. RDi provides 2
install modes: admin and user (or non-admin). Admin mode was always
available and is our current default. User mode became available later and
is not as obvious (this is something we hope to improve).

A user mode install means you install a user mode IBM Installation Manager
(by running 'userinst' from the product's InstallerImage_xxx folder instead
of 'install'). With a user mode Installation Manager installed (it is
listed under 'My IBM Installation Manager'), anything installed by it (e.g.
RDi) is user-specific instead of 'all users'.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSDV2W_1.8.5/com.ibm.cic.agent.ui.doc/topics/t_im_overview.html#t_im_overview__target

Note: not all products support user mode.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Simpson
Rational Developer for i - Rational Developer for
AIX and Linux - Rational Developer for Power
IBM Software Group - Canada Lab
Phone: 905-413-3226 (T/L: 313-3226)
esimpson@xxxxxxxxxx