wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/05/2012 03:48:51 PM:
----- Message from Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 05
Jan 2012 13:34:50 -0600 -----

Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSCi 7.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

On 1/4/2012 4:13 PM, Porterfield, Sean wrote:
PDM is more than SEU. RDP is not a reasonable replacement for PDM.
It's as simple as that.

With the exception of compare/merge, what do you find irreplaceable in
PDM?

How about producing a list of objects for tracking a project or discussion
at a meeting? The search capabilities of RDP are light-years ahead of
PDM. But I have to either leave my PC (and RSE) running or I have to redo
the search every day. I've worked on projects with hundreds of possible
objects that I need to track. Sometimes I can produce these lists in PDM
also. But having to re-run the search every day is not productive. In
PDM, I get my list assembled and press F21 and I then have a printed list
from which to work. (Qualifier: I am currently still on WDSC 7 and I
haven't used an RDP trial in recent releases. Have they added the ability
to print a list from the "Remote Search" results view or the "Remote
Systems" explorer view or the "iSeries Table View"?)

And you've hit a big one: compare/merge. PDM option 55 is priceless to me
when I have to apply a vendor update to customized code -- I love the
SoftLanding compare extension, but change dates are considered significant
enough in our shop that I can't use the SoftLanding merge function.
Besides, it's not really a merge--it's just an editable compare.

----- Message from Jeff Young <jyoung0950@xxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 5 Jan
2012 15:19:14 -0500 -----

"Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSCi 7.0 on Windows 7 64-bit

Tommy,
Almost anything you can do in PDM, you can do using RDP and more.

I think you it hit there--the significant word in your sentence is
*almost*. That said, I am an avid user and proponent of the PC-based
tools currently known as RDP. To say it's "...not a reasonable
replacement," could be construed as an overstatement. I don't think SEU
is worth even trying to compare to LPEX. The search capability in RDP is
superior. But PDM is more than an editor. PDM stands for "Programming
Development Manager". If it's ....Manager, you need to be able to manage
things and RDP does a great job of helping a developer develop, it just
needs a few more things to help with Programming Development management.

As far as replacing F13, you can select the first object, scroll to the
bottom, hold shift and click the last object--the whole list is selected
and you can now apply an option.

By the way Thierry, I added my vote for your enhancement. I too miss the
DSPxxx ability and use PDM for those functions.