Are you listening, IBM? Maybe I'll submit another requirement along these lines. Others, if you grok my meaning, please do the same with RFEs and requirements.

Later
Vern

On 1/5/2012 11:21 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:
On 1/5/2012 8:34 PM, Porterfield, Sean wrote:
From: Joe Pluta
I never say that RDP completely replaces ALL licenses of ADTS.
You replied to my comment that RDP doesn't replace PDM by stating how much better it is than SEU.
Uh huh. RDP is far better for IBM i programming than ADTS. In my
opinion. However, you should still have one license of ADTS. If you go
back and read my comments over the years, I've always said that.

Just color coding and having 250 lines of source on the screen
I would need a bigger monitor or better eyes. I tried a few fonts today and didn't even get to 86 lines of code on the screen.
Yeah, but you can easily get three views side by side by side, thus
getting you past 250. Yay!

Are 50-100 hours a year (and IMHO that's VERY conservative) worth the
initial $700 or whatever and the 20% maintenance?
If I were a full time programmer, yes. I probably don't spend much more than 100 hours a year looking at code. Granted, I absolutely prefer WDSC to SEU. It's a no-brainer. Anything from WDSCi version 6 (probably 6.1 lite if I remember correctly) on is superior to SEU. Basically when the program became fast enough to be usable.
If you code two hours a week, then this discussion is moot. I'm not
sure I could justify getting you an $800 tool that you use for 5% of
your job.

I wouldn't have spent 3 hours trying to get WDSC working if I didn't think it was better than SEU!

It's also better than PDM for many, many things. But it's a
price/benefit thing and I don't know that you qualify.

Joe